Sunday 29 March 2015

All at Sea


This image is from the Apostleship of the Sea's facebook page. Over Holy Week and Easter a number of priests from England, some of us of the Ordinariate, will be on cruise ships bringing the Sacraments to all those on board - but especially to those who work on the vessels, and spend so much of the year away from family, friends and Church.

In case you think this is a very happy and self-indulgent way to spend the next fortnight, maybe you'd like to consider my own itinerary. After the Ordinariate Chrism in London on Monday, an evening trip to Victoria to get to Gatwick. The flight departs late evening, and I should be in Oporto around 00.30hrs. Five and a half hours later we take off again, to Lisbon; a rather quick change of planes for the last leg to Horta where I am due around 8am - to meet P&O Cruise Ship Adonia later that day. We are due back in Southampton on Saturday. There I hope Jane joins me (lugging the various booklets, rosaries &c which the Apostleship have asked me to distribute). We sail to Porto Santo (Madeira) over the first few days of Easter and disembark there for a two day stop-over before flying to Heathrow.

Most days there will be a Mass or Liturgy of the day around 11pm for the Crew members, and a morning celebration for the passengers. So it will be different from the usual Parish Triduum and Easter. Please pray for those far from the Sacraments at this time, and especially those separated from their families.

I hope you might like to see a few pictures on my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment